Wednesday, September 2, 2009

9/1/09 Houston Astros 1, Chicago Cubs 4

Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
Game 2 of 3

A very effective performance by Mr. Randy Wells, earning win #10 – makes it the first double-digit win for a rookie pitcher since Kerry Wood back in 1998. The scoresheet says it all, 6.2 innings of solid work. Wells doesn’t rack up the Ks like others, but that’s what I like best about his style…no tricks, just good stuff (not great stuff) that works great. 4K, 2BB, 7 hits and 1 run –unearned due to Jeff Baker’s error that allowed Kaz Matsui to reach 3rd, and eventually score.

ASTROS 1 8 2
CUBS 4 8 1

Wells had a little help from the offense; Milton Bradley with a solo HR, Aramis Ramirez, Kosuke Fukudome, and Koyie Hill with run-scoring hits. The Cubs capitalized on 2 significant errors by the Astros in back-to-back innings.

I just realized that I made a typo on my scoresheet, charging the Cubs with 2 errors. I don’t know where the ‘2’ came from, but I have my theories. Not really sure if anyone is watching that closely, so I’m not rescanning, the score above is accurate.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...